Our Community Partners
The following nonprofit organizations, headquartered in the Puget Sound region, have received capacity building grants from the Cedarmere Foundation. We invite you to visit their websites to learn more about the important work they do, both here in our community and around the world.
Photographs above are courtesy of our community partners.
2020 Grant Recipients:
Click tab of grantee's name for more information.
WHO WE ARE:
The Nonprofit Assistance Center and Wayfind merged in May of 2019 under the name Communities Rise. We currently have eleven people on staff. Our annual operating budget for 2020 is approximately $1.5 million. You can learn more about us at our website: https://communities-rise.org.
WHAT WE DO:
Communities Rise works with organizations and microenterprises in communities impacted by systemic oppression to increase their capacity and build power. We recognize the strength and resilience in our communities and offer support through peer learning, coaching, and legal services and trainings. We also work with community leaders in the broader nonprofit, public, and philanthropic sectors to create a more equitable system.
Our mission is to foster movements to build power in communities impacted by systemic oppression to create an equitable system through cross-sector collaboration, capacity building and legal services for community organizations and microenterprises.
We foster movements to build power in communities impacted by systemic oppression by doing the following:
- We strengthen community organizations so they can pursue their missions and movements to build power in their communities. Everything we offer builds upon skills that exist in the people who make up the organization. We do this through the following programs:
- Through our nonprofit cohort program, we help community leaders meet urgent organizational needs, provide them with tools and trainings that build skills and support their organization’s long-term health, and create a space and network to engage in ongoing peer learning and growth.
- We provide fundraising and grant writing services through one-on-one consultations with professionals at our fundraising and grant writing clinics.
- We provide free legal services to nonprofits and microenterprises on their business legal needs through our legal services program.
- We work to bring more equity to the nonprofit sector by advocating for more funding and resources to support community and grassroots organizations that have been historically excluded. In addition, we engage in cross-sector relationship building, facilitating conversations between community organizations and funders.
- We are also looking at trends and gaps in the sector and working with community to develop resources to fill those gaps.
Merging the Nonprofit Assistance Center and Wayfind is a huge success for us and the communities we work with. We believe the merger and creation of Communities Rise enables us to provide holistic capacity building services and strengthens our equity work in the sector. Our hope is that the merger will result in authentic community collaborations, greater resources for communities impacted by systemic oppression and greater equity in the nonprofit and microenterprise sectors.